Configure a Cloud and Cloud Account
Configure an Alibaba Cloud
Configure an Alibaba CloudIcon
Be aware that these screen captures may change based on the Alibaba Cloud Platform changes. They are provided in this section as a point of reference.
Before mapping an Alibaba cloud on the CloudCenter platform, verify the following Alibaba requirements:
A valid Alibaba Cloud Platform account.
- Access to the following services (highlighted in orange rectangles in the image above, you must enable these services in the Alibaba cloud console):
- Elastic Compute Service
- Virtual Private Cloud
- Elastic IP Address
- Elastic Compute Service
- Access to ID and Access Keys: Alibaba Cloud Console > Home > AccessKeys:
- Access ID: The Alibaba Cloud access key ID is the identification proof of your access to Alibaba Cloud APIs.
- Access Keys: The 28 character, Alibaba cloud access key secret to identify this account's access parameters.
- Account ID: Alibaba Cloud Console > Account Management > Security Settings: This setting is required to link accounts and to download images.
Be aware of the following restrictions/limitations when configuring the Alibaba cloud:
- The instances supported for each region differs from region to region. The Alibaba SDK and the Alibaba Web Interface differs in the instances listed for each zone. You can add new instances using the CCM UI – see Manage Instance Types for additional context.
Alibaba Cloud does not currently allow querying/setting user data on custom images.
The CloudCenter platform relies on a hosted metadata service from Cisco (mds.cliqrtech.com) to fetch user data for each instance. This requires a public IP address.
If the admin uses Alibaba Public Images, then the CloudCenter platform uses Alibaba’s metadata service to fetch these images.
The CloudCenter platform currently supports the Ultra Cloud Disks for the OS (system disks) – the Cloud Efficiency Disk configuration (this is the default setting for the Alibaba cloud). The SSD Cloud Disks option is currently not supported by the CloudCenter platform for system disks.
However, when deploying storage types for data disks, the CloudCenter platform supports both options:
- The CloudCenter platform supports public IP only using Elastic IP addresses. This allows users to select 0 Mbps bandwidth. When creating the Elastic IP Pool, the admin can assign maximum bandwidth for the account according to the application requirements. In the Alibaba console, select the required zone and configure this setting as required for your environment.
- Alibaba Cloud in any region may run out of resources and is then marked sold-out (or in the case of APIs, the resource has run out) CloudCenter users must check their Alibaba’s Console and retry the operation once resource are available.
- All instances are priced using the Pay-As-You-Go model. The CloudCenter platform does not support Alibaba’s Subscription-based Pricing Model.
The Instance Charge Type is always Post-Paid based on the Pay-As-You-Go model.
- The CloudCenter platform assumes that all instances are I/O optimized (default in most configurations and cannot be configured).
- The CloudCenter platform does not support the Alibaba Classic Network Type – and only supports the VPC Network Type.
- The CloudCenter platform only supports image names suffixed as follows:
- Linux cloudinit images: Must be suffixed with 20160728, 20161115, or later.
- Windows win images: Must be suffixed with 20160622 or later.
To configure the logical mapping for a Alibaba cloud, follow this procedure.
- Access the CCM UI > Admin > Clouds > Add Cloud in the side pane.
- Select the Alibaba Cloud Platform option, provide a Name and Description for this cloud, and click Save.
- Scroll down (if required) to find the newly-added cloud:
- Click the Add Cloud Account link. The Add Cloud Account pop-up displays:
Assign a new cloud name.
Add the following Cloud Credentials associated with your Alibaba account and click Save.
Account Email: The email address that you used to log into the Alibaba Cloud Platform account.
Account Id: The Alibaba account ID for the Alibaba account as identified in Prerequisites section above.
- Access Id: The 16-character Alibaba Access Key ID for the Alibaba account as identified in Prerequisites section above.
- Access Key: The 28-character API Access Secret for the Alibaba account as identified in the Prerequisites section above.
Click the Regions tab.
Click Regions > Add Cloud Region.
- Select the required region.
- Add the Region Name and an optional Display Name.
- Click Save.
Click Edit Cloud Settings to update the Alibaba cloud settings for each region.
- Region Endpoint: Auto-populated with the selected region name.
- Instance Naming Strategy: See VM Name Config for additional context.
- Node Name Config: See VM Name Config for additional context.
The Configure Image Mappings section is automatically populated with the available image names.
You have now configured an Alibaba cloud. You can now Register the CCO with the CCM.
If you Edit Cloud Settings on the Cloud Region page (CCM UI > Admin > Clouds > Configure Region), you must then save the changes to the CCO by clicking Configure Orchestrator and then Save to ensure that these changes are also propagated to CCOs inside a firewall configuration.